The Hillsound Trail Crampon is a necessity for added traction when out hiking on the local trails or deep in the backcountry. Tested on the trails of the Himalaya, the Hillsound Trail Crampon is guaranteed to handle diverse winter terrain and weather conditions. Utilizing an ergonomic plate system, this crampon provides excellent traction and reduces muscular fatigue for your winter wilderness pursuits.
- The ergonomic plate system affords stability to the device, keeping the spikes at the outside of the sole and preventing them from shifting during movement.
- Perfect for backpacking and winter and shoulder season hiking.
- Aggressive traction gives secure footing in the snow and reduces muscular fatigue during your winter wilderness pursuits.
- The 1.5 cm (2/3") spikes dig into ice, glare ice and hard-pack snow with ease.
- Elastomer harness is easy to put on and take off, retains pliability to sub-freezing temperatures and fits most footwear.
- The rip and stick strap over the top of the foot increases the stability of the device and reduces movement in deeper snow.
- Fully tempered stainless steel chains are double linked and designed to withstand torque and friction.
- Lightweight and packable.
Our iconic product and customer favourite, the Trail Crampon is our original micro traction device.
– Spike Material: Heat-treated Carbon Steel
– Chain Material- Stainless steel
– Harness Material: Elastomer
– Spike Height: 1.5cm / 2/3″
– Spike Number: 11
– Weight (per pair): 414g (XS), 440g (S), 462g (M), 502g (L), 518g (XL)
– Weight (per pair): 14.6oz (XS), 15.5oz (S), 16.3oz (M), 17.7oz (L), 18.3oz (XL)
Before each use, check over the product to ensure there is no damage, such as chains splitting open or tears in the rubber. If damage is found, discontinue use to prevent further damage and potential injury. Please return the product to your local Hillsound retailer. Test product before each use for proper fit. Check positioning of front & rear spikes on the outer sole of your footwear. All spikes must fit within the outer edge of your footwear when fitted properly.
FASTENING & REMOVING:
Always put on and remove Hillsound Trail Crampon while seated. To fasten the Trail Crampon place toes into the front section of the crampon and adjust so the toe guide wire is sitting in front of the shoe not on top or underneath the shoe. The spikes must sit untangled and position well within the outer edge of your footwear underneath the ball of the foot. Pull the rubber back-tab toward the heel and cover your footwear with rubber evenly positioned around the sides of your shoe.
Pass the velcro strap under and over the opposite side of the rubber to prevent slippage of the crampon. Adjust the chains and base plate appropriately so that the base plates are fitting evenly and squarely underfoot. Place one foot at a time to ensure balance and start walking on flat surface to test that it is fitting well. If the chains or rubber are loose, you may need to consider a smaller size for a tighter fit. All shoe makes and brands are different, so the Hillsound sizing chart should be used only as a guide. To remove the product, slide the back-tab off of the heel of the shoe, and slip the front of the foot out of the front section of the crampon.
Hillsound Trail Crampon are designed for recreational activities such as trail running, winter hiking, and are not made for technical climbing. These are not a mountaineering crampon. Avoid using the Hillsound Trail Crampon on stairs, rocks or river crossings. Only use Trail Crampon in winter snow and ice conditions. Use the Trail Crampon with regular outdoor footwear, such as: runners, hiking boots, and insulated boots.
Transport crampons using a sturdy bag so as to protect the spikes from damaging personal belongings. Always position the spikes away from the body when transporting them.
CASE AND MAINTENANCE:
After each use crampons must be thoroughly cleaned, dried and stored in a cool dry place. The chains are stainless steel and so will not rust, however the carbon steel base plate can. To prevent rust they can be oiled after use and drying.